Let your team know you found this content first. Share this page.
Marketing Analytics Best Practices
Request a Marketing Analytics Consultant
Marketing Operations is responsible for "One View of the Truth". Typical activities include standardizing:
Tactical campaign response metrics by Business Unit/Geo
Overall Campaign Effectiveness by Business Unit/Geo
C-Level ROI Reporting
Field Marketing Reports
Database Health Dashboards
Campaign Metric "Gotchas"
Open Rates Up While Click Thru Rates Down? What the...?
You may begin to notice that your email open rates are going up while click-thru rates are going down. How can this be you ask? You've done everything right and have been sending much more relevant messages. Answer: Mobile Devices. Turns out that while many smart phone users will open and read your email, they may not take the time to click thru, waiting instead until they return to the office (hopefully). Hence open rates up, click thru rates down. Measure form conversion rate instead.
Open Rates in General
Open rates in general are not very accurate since many email browsers will automatically "open" the email in the preview pane, whether the user actually opens it or not. Also some mobile phones don't render the invisible image that most email vendors use to track email opens, so a legitimate open doesn't even get counted.
Time on a Web page
I might pull up your webpage and then get a phone call. 45 minutes later I am now finally able to look at the page. Meanwhile you think I've been mesmerized by your beautifully designed page for the last 45 minutes. Sorry.
Marketing Dashboard Best Practices
No matter what, your Dashboards needs to align with the goal of the CEO. And what CEO doesn't want growth as the most important goal. But growth of what? Click thru rates? Form submissions? Net new leads? Nope. It's REVENUE.
1. Align your Dashboards to the goal of the CEO
2. Make sure both sales and marketing are aligned to the same goal
3. Adopt Revenue Performance Management
Marketing Reporting Best Practices
Marketers want feedback on their campaign efforts. To align with the goal of the CEO, focus on these ACTIONABLE marketing reports:
1. Is my contact database growing or shrinking?
2. What percentage of my database is active vs. inactive?
3. How many leads are currently in each funnel stage?
4. How long have they been there?
5. How many converted to the next stage?
6. What did it cost to get them to the next stage?
7. How long did it take to convert them to the next stage?
8. How much revenue did marketing generate?
OUT OF TIME?
Keep up to speed with the latest updates in ReportingBest Practices